This is a very easy and high-protein salad that is great as a side dish or even as an entree. Sauteing the garbanzo beans in a wok brings out their nutty flavor, almonds add crunch, parsley and artichokes round out the dish. This salad can be served hot, warm or cold. Makes one meal or four side salads.
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 15 oz. can quartered artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 t. lemon juice
- 1 t. red wine vinegar
- 2 T. fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Mis En Place: French phrase defined by the Culinary Institute of America as “everything in place”, as in set up. It is used in professional kitchens to refer to organizing and arranging the ingredients.
I find it easier to make sure that all of your ingredients are ready to go before cooking. This will keep you organized and make sure that nothing is overcooked or burned.
- Measure out extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chop garlic
- Chop parsley
- Drain garbanzo beans and artichoke hearts
- Measure out almonds
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in wok.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans and saute on medium-high for 10 minutes and stir occasionally to prevent burning or until the garbanzo beans are golden brown all over. Then put them in a large bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to wok then add the artichoke hearts until browned when finished add them to the garbanzo beans.
- Toast almonds in wok then add them to garbanzo bean and artichoke hearts.
- Add red wine vinegar, lemon juice, and chopped parsley to bowl and mix ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.