Looking for yet another way to use up some extra zucchini or basil? These tasty bits should do the trick. I prefer something savory as a snack or for breakfast and they certainly hit the spot last, this morning, and possibly many more times today. They’re so irresistibly yummy Mauro and I just can’t stop noshing on these buggers.
I doubled the recipe when I made them last night and got 6 cupcake sized muffins and 2 loaves. I froze one of the loaves for future noshing and to resist temptation of eating it all at once. I hope you enjoy them as much as we are.
VEGAN ZUCCHINI, BASIL, “CHEESE” MUFFINS
2 1/2 cups organic unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 tsp egg replacer (plus 4 Tbsp of warm water to whisk it with)
3/4 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp homemade vegan pesto (fresh basil leaves and olive oil blended in a food processor)
2 cups grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
1/2 cup grated vegan cheese (preferably a brand that melts), mozzarella or cheddar flavor
1/4 cup grated vegan cheese for topping muffins/loaves
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Prep muffin tins or loaf pans with cooking/baking spray or cupcake/muffin liners. Note: Muffins yield the best results.
- Whisk the egg replacer with warm water until it’s frothy. Let it sit for a few minutes to thicken up.
- Combine the egg replacer, non-dairy milk, apple sauce, oil and pesto in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Combine to the liquid blend with the dry ingredients and mix gently.
- Once the liquid and dry ingredients are fully incorporated, add the grated zucchini and 1/2 cup of “cheese”.
- Fill the cupcake/muffin or loaf pans half full. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of “cheese” evenly over each pan.
- Bake cupcake/muffins for 15-20 minutes and loaf pans for 40 minutes, until the tops and “cheese” are golden brown, or when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.